Thursday, November 6, 2008

Faith for Times of Transition

A question was asked by one of my profs that I have wrestled with for a few years now.

"Can anyone prevent me from keeping my faith?"

There has been a lot talk about terrorism or Islamic extremists or Democrats being a threat to the Christian faith. But how can anyone take away my faith? Who can hinder my relationship with God other than myself?

A follower of Jesus cannot live in fear. If your faith or religion or relationship or whatever you want to call it can be threatened by others it cannot be genuine. Genuine faith in Christ is not dependent upon man-granted "freedoms" or "rights" and thus cannot be threatened by even the most virulent opponents of God. Jesus never told his followers to fear for their faith, on the contrary, he told them not to fear men but only God.

When people tell me that they are afraid that a new federal administration and what it could mean to Christians I almost never believe their fear is based on a biblical understanding of Christianity. Most of the time their fear tends to revolve around acceptance, comfort, or prosperity. Jesus never promised us any of these things. In fact, he constantly warned his followers that they would not receive them and that they stood in opposition to a life a discipleship. Therein lies the saddest irony. When Christians decry the possibility of loss of the aforementioned, they are not afraid of loosing any bit of biblical Christianity, rather they really fear (whether they know it or not) the loss of their idols.

The Christianity of nations where it is an oppressed faith will always be purer than a in a place where the faith of Christ is allowed to grow into idolatry of safety, comfort, and acceptance.

I don't believe the new administration will be a threat to this idolatry of civil religion, but I pray it is. I do know as simple fact that even if they made every effort to hinder true faith in Christ, they have no power to do so.

My faith is as secure as it was a week ago, and as secure as it will be for years to come.

No comments: